Sunday 12 January 2014

Il Grido (1957)

  'Il Grido' is a 1957 film directed by Michaelangelo Antonioni. The film precedes L'Avventura and I believe it is superior. 

  Aldo splits up from his mistress Irma, and wanders around the desolate flats of the Italian countryside, meeting new and old lovers, trying to fill the hole in his lovelife. This being an Antonioni film, you know this won't have a happy ending...

  'Red Desert' and 'L'Eclisse' did not appeal to me, so I went in with low expectations, only for them to be passed immediately. As I am used to his style and themes, I just sat back and admired the camera movements (mostly pans) and the desolate countryside. This could be considered a road movie, but if it is, it's the most depressing I have seen. Steve Cochran plays an amazing portrayal of the main character. His emotions and actions are absolutely perfect.

  Something which made me laugh was the partially spoilered BBFC Classification states "moderate domestic violence, suicide and smoking". So beware kids, of moderate smoking!!!



TO CONCLUDE

Not as good as 'The Passenger' but still a beautifully tragic film.

SCORE

79/100

No comments:

Post a Comment